[cabf_validation] Minutes of 11 April 2019

Dimitris Zacharopoulos (HARICA) dzacharo at harica.gr
Fri Apr 12 15:35:52 MST 2019

On 12/4/2019 10:32 μ.μ., Ryan Sleevi wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 12, 2019 at 1:52 PM Dimitris Zacharopoulos (HARICA)
> <dzacharo at harica.gr <mailto:dzacharo at harica.gr>> wrote:
>
>     When a member proposes something, this could be captured in the
>     minutes as "member X suggested this improvement to this method".
>     In terms of IPR protection, it's the same as writing "Dimitris:
>     Why don't we do this improvement to this ridiculous method"?
>

> I'm not sure I understand. Are you suggesting that you should be able
> to suggest that method is ridiculous, but desire not to have that
> reflected in the minutes? For members that aren't able to make a call,
> and for the public, it provides a clear and distinct value to know
> that position.

I'm saying that we either agree on transcribing (in this case, we could
probably just publish the recordings of the meetings) or we don't. If we
don't and still want to capture some dialogues and positions from
members, then we must be careful to not just pick words or some parts of
a sentence in the minutes, because without the full context the meaning
can be read very differently. I hope we can agree to that risk.

Of course this is subjective process which is why we should have a
review process of the minutes, which unfortunately didn't happen in this
case. For the Infrastructure Working Group, we had agreed to add the
draft minutes on the wiki and if there were any objections we were able
to make changes before sending them to public lists. Once the minutes
were approved, they were sent to the public lists. Perhaps we need a
similar rule across all subcommittees.

> I think, so long as we have minute takers that are themselves members
> - and thus active participants in the discussions and far from
> disinterested parties - we benefit from clarity about exactly what was
> said, rather than subjective interpretations. This is true, both for
> matters of IPR and in understanding the evolution and understanding of
> our documents.
>
> In any event, I look forward to your proposed improvements, since
> there's actually great value in the minutes Robin provided - and,
> indeed, matches the approach of minutes used in other SDOs, such as
> W3C or IETF

Thanks. I will try to find some time to review past conversations we had
in the Form related to minutes to capture the various "flavors". I will
also try to find representative samples from W3C or IETF to start a
separate thread.

Dimitris.