[cabf_validation] Update 3.2.2.4 for Applicants that are Individual Natural Persons

Dimitris Zacharopoulos jimmy at it.auth.gr
Thu May 31 23:25:14 MST 2018

The current BRs in 3.2.2.4 state that
"For purposes of domain validation, the term Applicant includes the
Applicant's Parent Company, Subsidiary Company, or Affiliate."

which doesn't include the case of an Applicant being an Individual
Natural Person. Since the term "Applicant" is already defined in 1.6.1,
this sentence should probably me amended to point to 1.6.1 instead of
trying to re-define the term.

*"Applicant*: The natural person or Legal Entity that applies for (or
seeks renewal of) a Certificate. Once the Certificate issues, the
Applicant is referred to as the Subscriber. For Certificates issued to
devices, the Applicant is the entity that controls or operates the
device named in the Certificate, even if the device is sending the
actual certificate request."

However, there were previous discussions related to DV Certificates
about who actually "signs" the Subscriber Agreement, especially for
cases where the CA has no idea (i.e. does not validate) who the person
or legal entity is behind a DV Certificate Application.

As far as I can understand the current definition of an Applicant, a
"natural person" has at least a full name and a "legal entity" has at
least a name. Since we don't have any of that,  how valid is a
Subscriber Agreement without at least this basic information?

I also created an issue on github
<https://github.com/cabforum/documents/issues/96>but I thought it would
be best to post it here for future discussion.

Thank you,

Dimitris.