[cabf_validation] Minutes for Sep 21 2017

Wayne Thayer wthayer at godaddy.com
Thu Sep 21 10:59:58 MST 2017

Someone also brought up the topic of discussing the blog on obtaining a fraudulent EV cert (https://0.me.uk/ev-phishing/) and what can be learned from it.

Another topic from the 27-July meeting notes is redirects. Jeremy, in a subsequent email you said:

…I’m proposing that we craft a ballot subsequent to 190 that:

  1.  Clarifies that CAs may use a re-direct on a permissible port for validation but may not use a re-direct to a new domain.  If the re-direct is to an authorization domain, the CA is verifying the authorization domain, so there isn’t a problem in simply stating that domain re-directs from an authorization domain do not verify the authorization domain. Let’s Encrypt’s answer on the general mailing list made the issue more confusing and increased questions about whether re-directs are allowed. I think we should put the issue to rest with clarifying requirement language.

Thanks,

Wayne