[cabfpub] C=GR, C=UK exceptions in BRs

Ryan Sleevi sleevi at google.com
Sat Mar 18 00:52:11 UTC 2017

On Fri, Mar 17, 2017 at 8:40 PM, Kirk Hall <Kirk.Hall at entrustdatacard.com>
wrote:

> I answered your questions in previous emails.  I would like to understand
> better the factors you believe should allow deviation from a published
> standard – that will help with this discussion.

As the proposer of change, I think the burden of discussion should rest
with you to articulate and explain the rationale for the change.

To make sure I understand correctly, is it fair to say that your reason for
supporting the change is:
* You don't understand why the current rules are what they are ("There must
have been a good reason ... but I can’t imagine what the good reason was.")
* You don't understand what the current rules are attempting to address (As
you have still not addressed whether you agree or disagree with the
concerns I presented)
* You believe that some parties should be able to make up their own rules
about what goes into certificates ("In general, I think a country should be
able to decide that for itself.", "I think the choice is up to the Greek
government, not us")

In expressing your support, you have
* Misrepresented what I've said
* Misrepresented the reasons ("As I recall the country codes we are all
stuck")
* Misrepresented the accuracy of the information currently required ("and
what ISO decided some time ago")

Is that a fair summary of your discussion points so far?

I have attempted to better understand your support, by attempting to:
* Explain why the current rules are what they are
* Explain what the current rules are attempting to address
* Understand which parties you believe should be able to make up their own
rules. For example, it's entirely ambiguous whether your "In general"
remark means that you believe the Principality of Sealand should be able to
dictate what appears in their C value? Do you believe that two countries
should be able to use the same value? Who decides who can dictate that
value - for example, would Norton 1, Emperor of Norton
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emperor_Norton> have been able to indicate
what he wanted the C= to be?

I do hope you can keep the discussion focused to these on-topic matters,
rather than unrelated questions, so that you might be able to explain to
other members why you support such change, and that it might be possible to
craft a Ballot that best reflects your desire.

All the best