[cabfpub] Updated Ballot 190 v6 dated July 6, 2017

Ryan Sleevi sleevi at google.com
Fri Jul 7 07:46:28 MST 2017

On Thu, Jul 6, 2017 at 8:38 PM, Kirk Hall via Public
<public at cabforum.org> wrote:
> If both ballots pass, Ballot 190 will
> wipe out the changes in BR 3.2.2.4 that are made by Ballot 204.  (We should
> try to avoid multiple ballots amending the same BR section in the future.)

Hi Kirk,

I appreciate you sharing this perspective, and I understand why it can
add to the confusion. I do want to point out that this was extensively
discussed during the IPR policy discussions, and was in fact
substantially addressed by it. That is, it was an explicit design goal
of the revised IPR policy to allow for multiple ballots amending the
same BR section.

You can see how this process was defined in section 2.3(j) of our
Bylaws, which I see you have updated your Ballot 190 to align with,
which is necessary, given yours is the later-ending ballot. I
appreciate that, as the alternative would have been Gerv updating
Ballot 204, and he's on vacation.

It's worth considering that part of this challenge has been through
the multiple 'restarts' of Ballot 190, largely due to Ballot 190
having issues raised during the pre-discussion that were not
addressed. From this perspective, it may be that our takeaway should
be that we should try to ensure we address substantive feedback before
forcing a ballot forward. We've seen this several times recently, and
while the eagerness and excitement from CAs to update the Baseline
Requirements is encouraging and refreshing, it is perhaps this over
eagerness that is contributing to the challenges you're seeing.

Best,
Ryan