[cabfpub] [EXTERNAL]Re: ]RE: Ballot 194 - Effective Date of Ballot 193 Provisions is in the VOTING period (ends April 16)

Gervase Markham gerv at mozilla.org
Tue Apr 18 08:47:24 UTC 2017

On 17/04/17 19:47, Dean Coclin via Public wrote:
> I think this is the crux of the matter at hand. There are different
> interpretations of “posting” and interpreting it one way or the other is
> the cause of the issue. Looking at “entirety” is one way. Looking at
> “intent” is another.

If intent were normative, then my life would be easier in dealing with
CA misissuance and BR violations, because almost all of them are
unintended, and so I should treat the CA as if they had succeeded in
their goal of producing compliant certs :-)

> I remember a time when we did not have public voting. Then a change was
> made, with the intent being to inject transparency into the voting
> process and publicly disclose where CAs and Browsers came down on
> issues. It would seem this intent is satisfied by the chair’s disclosure
> of the votes online.

Without saying I don't trust the chair :-), there's a lot of difference
between putting your name to something, and someone else reporting that
you've put your name to it.

Gerv