[cabfpub] Suggestion to amend BR Section7.1.4.2.2d/e RE: EV Gudelines section 9.2.5 & X.520

Erwann Abalea Erwann.Abalea at docusign.com
Mon Jul 18 13:30:24 UTC 2016

Bonjour Dimitris,

There’s surely not only one authoritative source.
ISO 3166 is one, but countries recognized by UN/ISO may not want to assign ISO3166-2 codes for their administrative subdivisions (it’s not mandatory).
FIPS 10-4 was another one, with small differences wrt ISO3166-1 (Taiwan is not recognized by US but has a code, North Korea isn’t recognized either and has a different code than the ISO one —KP/KN—, Palestine status is also different, …).
I think that UNStats has another list, but can’t retrieve a link to it; it may be used in the future for cooperative vehicles.

Of course, every country is free to have its own differences when considering a third-party country not a UN member (Taiwan (ROC), Kosovo, Vatican, …).
And there may exist differences on where borders between countries are located, depending on who you’re asking.

BTW, I just noticed there are some certificates with HK (Hong-Kong) and MO (Macao) as country code. These are not countries, but administrative regions of China (the DRC one).

Cordialement,
Erwann Abalea