[cabfpub] Refinement of gTLD requirements

Rick Andrews Rick_Andrews at symantec.com
Fri Jan 31 21:31:02 UTC 2014

Comments inline.

No, it's not a question of who to contact, but rather uncertainty about when the domain will be open for registration, and whether the certificate holder will have time to register the domain and prove ownership to the CA before the deadline passes.

> >  1. Checking the page
> >     _http://newgtlds.icann.org/en/program-status/delegated-strings_
> >     (updated within one day or two after the delegation happens)
> >  2. Checking the page
> >     _https://data.iana.org/TLD/tlds-alpha-by-domain.txt_(updated
> >     automatically by IANA)
>
> There is also a mailing list, and a spreadsheet auto-populated from the
> mailing list which Mozilla maintains.
>
> > “Within 120 days after the delegation from the public DNS root for a
> new
> > gTLD
>
> As Ryan says, the choice of "contracted" was intentional.

I was under the impression that some domains would open for registration and allow the certificate holder to buy the domain. In such cases, the certificate doesn't need to be revoked. We have customers who hope to do that. I'm trying to make that process more clear and straightforward for the certificate holder and the CA.

-Rick