[cabfpub] Refinement of gTLD requirements

Gervase Markham gerv at mozilla.org
Fri Jan 31 10:11:51 UTC 2014

On 30/01/14 18:50, Rick Andrews wrote:
> I believe that CA’s cannot determine if the Subscriber is “either the
> Domain Name Registrant or can demonstrate control over the Domain Name”
> until the domain has been delegated.

Is the information in the "contract signed" email not sufficient to
identify the company concerned? If it is, then in order to determine
that someone is the Domain Name Registrant, you have to ascertain they
work for that company.

If it's not, then we should get ICANN to add more info to those emails.

>  1. Checking the page
>     _http://newgtlds.icann.org/en/program-status/delegated-strings_
>     (updated within one day or two after the delegation happens)
>  2. Checking the page
>     _https://data.iana.org/TLD/tlds-alpha-by-domain.txt_(updated
>     automatically by IANA)

There is also a mailing list, and a spreadsheet auto-populated from the
mailing list which Mozilla maintains.

> “Within 120 days after the delegation from the public DNS root for a new
> gTLD

As Ryan says, the choice of "contracted" was intentional.

Gerv