[cabfpub] Request for six month delay on new Google SHA-1 deprecation policy

kirk_hall at trendmicro.com kirk_hall at trendmicro.com
Thu Aug 28 23:31:01 UTC 2014

[Reposting from Google SHA-1 list]

From: Kirk Hall (RD-US)
Sent: Thursday, August 28, 2014 4:29 PM
To: 'rsleevi at chromium.org'
Cc: security-dev; blink-dev; steve.medin at gmail.com; net-dev
Subject: RE: Intent to Deprecate: SHA-1 certificates

Thanks.  But nothing in those snippets indicates that in August 2014 SHA-1 certificate users will be told by Google that they must switch out all their certs in 6-12 weeks or else their websites will receive untrusted UIs in Chrome - does it?

As I mentioned before, our company already restricted our offerings so no customer can get a SHA-1 certificate expiring after 2016, so we are already in compliance.  Why are you effectively pushing back the SHA-1 deprecation deadline by two years on such short notice?

I think this is very unfortunate - Google seems angry at (some) CAs for past tardiness in transitions to stronger technologies (MD5, 1024 bit certs), but not all CAs are guilty and in any case this is a very punitive policy.

In fact, you are actually punishing website owners with perfectly valid SHA-1 certs who will be in full compliance with the SHA-1 deprecation policy by 2017 - they have done nothing wrong, but because of Google's new August 2014 policy, they have to speed up compliance to this year, at a very inconvenient time for many.

Finally, in my opinion, you are effectively punishing Chrome users as well  (or confusing them, at the very least) by showing them "untrusted" Chrome UIs this fall for certs that are, in fact, perfectly valid under a 2017 SHA-1 deprecation policy - all in the name of social engineering (pushing website owners and CAs to move faster).  Is this really what you want to do to Chrome users with Chrome's UI?  It's like "crying wolf" - telling your own customers there is a problem with a website when there actually isn't (you are just trying to make the website move faster).

Please listen to the people posting on this site and other sites, Ryan, and reconsider your timelines.  Do the right thing, and reset the deadline for March 1, 2015 or later.  That will accomplish all your stated purposes, and avoid hurting a lot of people (and Chrome users) unnecessarily.