[cabf_validation] Question on 3.2.2.4.7 DNS Change

Doug Beattie doug.beattie at globalsign.com
Thu Jun 20 14:39:36 UTC 2024

As we're working on MPIC, we're taking a closer look at the validation methods.  Method 3.2.2.4.7 specifies:

*       Confirming the Applicant's control over the FQDN by confirming the presence of a Random Value or Request Token for either in a DNS CNAME, TXT or CAA record for either 1) an Authorization Domain Name; or 2) an Authorization Domain Name that is prefixed with a Domain Label that begins with an underscore character.

DNS TXT and CAA records have a clear structure that can accommodate a Random Value or Request Token, but It's not clear to me how a random value could be in a CAA record.  Do we interpret this to mean we will follow the CNAME and then find either a DNS TXT or CAA record containing the value?

Doug