[cabf_validation] [EXTERNAL]-RE: EVGL: Question about "overlapping" verification sources

Pedro FUENTES pfuentes at WISEKEY.COM
Sun Apr 16 18:11:23 UTC 2023

Hi Jeremy,

Thanks a lot for participating in the debate and your insights. I think you raise quite interesting points, but I must say that there are part of it that I fail to correlate to what is written in the EVGL.

Let me insert some comments in your mail.

BR/P

> On 16 Apr 2023, at 07:49, Jeremy Rowley <jeremy.rowley at digicert.com> wrote:
>
> I disagree that this is a problem or that the listings are ”improper”. In particular, I don’t really see what problem it creates to have multiple registration numbers for a single entity.

I don’t see as a problem “per se” having multiple valid registration numbers for a single entity, as we could understand that an entity can be registered in several agencies. My main concern in this case is to have a given subscriber, registered in a given agency with a registration number, and present inconsistent JOI in each of their certificates.

Said so, I still think that most (if not all) countries set clearly a process to incorporate an organization and what is the incumbent registry, and we should do our best to understand the incorporation process and use that incumbent registry and not being too “creative” and use secondary registration agencies.

> I do agree with you that JOI certificate information needs updating to help make the information more useful. Note that we changed the EV language to allow registration sources in addition to jurisdiction of incorporation quite some time ago.  We also include “(or similar)” language in the section that specifies what CAs put into the JOI serial number field.  I think your assumption that Jurisdiction of Registration only applies to business entities is flawed. For private orgs under 11.2.1:  “Registration Number: Obtain the specific Registration Number assigned to the Applicant by the Incorporating or Registration Agency in the Applicant’s Jurisdiction of Incorporation or Registration. Where the Incorporating or Registration Agency does not assign a Registration Number, the CA SHALL obtain the Applicant’s date of Incorporation or Registration.”

For me the problem is that Section 4 of the EVGL make explicit definitions of what is the jurisdiction of incorporation and jurisdiction of registration, and each is also explicitly linked to a particular type of subscribers.
For example:
Jurisdiction of Registration: In the case of a Business Entity, the state, province, or locality where the organization has registered its business presence by means of filings by a Principal Individual involved in the business.
Therefore, the EVGL is telling us that the JOR only applies to business entities. And the definition of JOI tells us that it only applies to private organizations and government entities.

Maybe this is just something coming from older versions and has not been updated, but that’s what is written and what I’m bound to apply unless someone tells me that these definitions are outdated or incorrect.

> The intended purpose of JOI certificate information is to identify the legal entity responsible for the domain for the relying party. The idea was that the relying party could find and hold the entity behind the domain accountable for any bad actions. Having just a number and location in the JOI proved impossible to use, even before we expanded the scope to include registration numbers. Relying parties need to know exactly where to look in the jurisdiction to find the registration. Although in the US the registration number plus jurisdiction often proves sufficient (I can find the company registered in Delaware if I know the corporate ID),registration outside the US proved more nuance with many jurisdictions requiring several identifiers as part of the company registration and some registration numbers dependent on the specific entity type being registered.

I mostly disagree with this because this is not what is written in the EVGL. What the EVGL say is that we need to include the JOI where operates the registration or incorporation agency, and I can’t see nowhere that the CA must specify the JOI of the verification source that was used for each certificate issuance, or that the relying party can use to find the company details. The information that the CA includes in the certificate must be “the JOI where the agency registered or incorporated that subscriber”, as this the strict interpretation of the EVGL.

As said above, I can understand the rational when you say “Relying parties need to know exactly where to look in the jurisdiction to find the registration”, but even so, we can see that the current approach blatantly fails when using overlapping verification sources, as this produces ambiguous information that make the certificate content either unreliable or irrelevant, and a TLS certificate can’t contain neither unreliable nor irrelevant information.

> The problem isn’t with multiple numbers or different sources IMO – the problem you’re identify is that we don’t give users the source of the registration number in the certificate itself. If we included the source of the registration number in the actual certificate, Relying Parties could use that to find the company information instead of guessing where it came from. Making this information easier to find is far more useful that going through and having the CABF rigorously set rules about each jurisdiction – a task that the CABF isn’t really qualified to do. Including the source does something far better than restricting sources or unifying on JOI information – it gives Relying Parties direct knowledge on where they can find the company information in government records.

I agree that the task could be out of scope of the CABF, but I still think that CAs have a responsibility to provide consistent information in the certificates they issue, and for that the EVGL must be respected… and if this is not possible because the rules are unclear or flawed, then the rules should be amended.

In summary I can only maintain my thesis that certificates that include the JOI of a particular registration agency must be consistent across subscribers registered in the same agency. I can’t see any logic on seeing certificates issued by the same CA to the same type of subscriber (or even the same subscriber) and see there different JOI levels for the same registration agency, so something is wrong here, either the practice or the rule.

Besides all the above, I’d still have the open question about the lack of definition in the EVGL about disclosure of QGIS, as it’s only worded in terms of disclosure of registration and incorporation agencies.

Stay connected with WISeKey <http://www.wisekey.com/>