[cabf_validation] [EXTERNAL] Re: Deprecating and prohibiting `subject:organizationalUnitName`

Paul van Brouwershaven Paul.vanBrouwershaven at entrust.com
Fri May 28 18:07:32 UTC 2021

Hi Ryan,

The reason that this proposal is requiring a documented case-by-case exception is to collect concrete evidence like you are requesting and limit the use case to organizations that depend on the OU and need more time to migrate to an alternative solution.

There are several use-cases presented, including tracking, pining, organizational unit identification for management, and most importantly mTLS. This last use case is where we see the biggest impact and need for time, as these organizations need to change their applications, ldap or move off the public PKI to a private PKI to continue their operations.

The deprecation timeframe should give (most) subscribers the time to stop using the OU and move to alternative solutions, the organizations that require more time to plan, budget and setup a private PKI (for example) would require more time and these fall in the documented exception period.

I think it’s reasonable to state that Prohibited values equals MUST NOT and a Deprecated value is a weaker form of SHOULD NOT.

The following change to the proposed language reflects this interpretation better:

i. __Certificate Field:__ `subject:organizationalUnitName` (OID: 2.5.4.11)
   __Prohibited__ if the `subject:organizationName` is absent.
   __Prohibited__ after May 31, 2024
   __Deprecated__ discouraged, SHOULD NOT be included after May 31, 2022 permitted until prohibited when documented as case-by-case exception.

Thanks,

Paul