[cabf_validation] Cert Profile spec: question about the outline/ToC

Ryan Sleevi sleevi at google.com
Mon Aug 2 15:47:40 UTC 2021

Hey Doug,

Thanks for the suggestion!

I think you may recall that we had at least two calls where we discussed
this outline, early on, in order to gather feedback early on, so that it
wouldn't require major restructuring. That's not to say no, but that this
isn't exactly a light request.

There's a clear problem with your proposal, which is that it relies on
breaking from RFC 3647 format. Considering multiple root programs, and the
BRs itself, require CAs to adhere to RFC 3647, that's a somewhat big
divergence here, and I want to call attention to it.

I'll certainly give it some thought, but I'm hoping as well you can better
explain your concern: Is your primary concern simply the Table of Contents
on the main PDF? I'm not sure I understand "avoid long numbered headings"
in and of itself as a goal, especially since we have other places (and
within the NCSSRs, but *especially* the EVGs), so it does seem you're
proposing a more substantial requirement that is inconsistent with our
existing work. That doesn't mean it's bad, but it seems we should try to
aim to be self-consistent to a degree, shouldn't we?