[cabf_validation] [EXTERNAL]Re: Revision to OU requirements

Paul Walsh paul at metacert.com
Thu Sep 10 09:55:43 MST 2020

Hi Ryan,

I tried to avoid posting a follow-up, but I had to correct your perception - I didn’t provide enough insight in my original message - my bad.

My carrier/operator example isn’t a hypothetical - sorry for not making that clear. I can’t name names but some carriers want to implement identity verification for URLs inside SMS messages to combat fraud/phishing. They say that trying to block known threats with multiple vendors isn’t working well enough.

Due to how my company serves identity info (API instead of TLS), it's in my personal interest to find common ground with you. So I’m motivated to find security issues related to empty/incorrectly populated fields that are ignored by browsers. I just can’t get my head around how unused data has caused actual harm to browser users.

I’ve read as much as I could on this topic thanks to your links. I found it easy to find issues related to fields that browsers use, but I couldn’t find any security issues related to fields that browsers do not use. I know you’re busy, but it would be really amazing if you could point me to just one specific issue so I can really see where you’re coming from.

- Paul