[cabf_validation] [EXTERNAL]Re: Revision to OU requirements

Ryan Sleevi sleevi at google.com
Tue Sep 8 19:56:54 MST 2020

Thanks Rich.

While I can appreciate the effort to "bring clarity to the guidelines", I
think this is a much more significant task than your ballot puts forward.
As a practical matter, I'll state up front that there is a significant,
potentially insurmountable, barrier towards any approach that does not
remove OU entirely.

In terms of your specific ballot, not only do you attempt to clarify the
language, but you also attempt to remove any obligation of the CA to
validate the information. In effect, this becomes a freeform field, and
that remains deeply troubling, especially given the struggles CAs are
facing with strict fields, such as businessCategory, which have an explicit
allowlist of specific values. Beyond just making the validation rules
"whatever you say you do in your CP/CPS", it goes a step further, and
removes both the obligation to disclose what those rules are, *and* any
warranties that the CA actually followed those rules. If this was 2007, and
we were discussing Baseline Requirements, this might seem like a reasonable
solution, as I'm sure it did when it was introduced, but in 2020, we know
enough to know this doesn't work.

In terms of general principles, however, it becomes even more problematic.
I realize this is a longer response than the ballot itself, but considering
the Forum keeps having this discussion every time we talk about new
attributes, let alone existing ones such as the OU, it seems useful to lay
out some of the principles and expectations, in order to make communication
easier and Chrome's goals here.

To discuss how the information should be validated requires discussing what
the information should be in the first place. In the months since the F2F
discussion, no one has brought any use case forward. We know from extant
practices that CAs are keen to add their brandnames, marketing information,
or otherwise problematic data, such as "Domain Control Validated", which
serves no value to the software using these certificates. To figure out how
to validate first requires identifying the use cases, and those use cases
that have been shared are not only hardly compelling, but border on
problematic to harmful to security.

At the end of the day, we need to recognize that for all intents and
purposes, X.509 certificates are "just" a signed container format. The
lofty ambitions of X.500 and X.520, with the set of key-value attributes
for a global naming ontology, have little to no relevance to X.509, as
embodied by RFC 5280. Nothing could be more obvious that the very first
effort of the IETF's PKIX working group, working with ITU, resulted in
X.509v3, which introduced extensions and wholesale rejected the
continued-extension of the Directory Name, reflecting what was as true and
obvious in 1995 as it was in 2020: that the X.500 DIT would never
materialize, and X.509, as used in TLS, was simply as an efficient
container format.

If we view certificates as "just" a container format, then it's clear that
we don't need to put every conceivable attribute within the same
certificate. There can be multiple certificates, and multiple hierarchies,
all providing signed assertions to different communities, without requiring
a single signed assertion (a certificate) from a single CA. Attributes like
the organizationalUnitName, which have zero bearing on TLS as used by
browsers, fundamentally do not belong in certificates used by TLS by
browsers. CAs are free to issue those certificates, but from hierarchies
other than those managed on behalf of and used by browsers.

If there is a community of users who use the OU attribute in
machine-to-machine communication, for example, they can establish a PKI
hierarchy/framework for managing those assertions securely. They could use
commercial CAs, they could use private CAs, that doesn't matter.
However, there is no sound reason to make such assertions **also**
assertions for TLS. Modern computing is made up of hundreds of certificates
on a daily basis, from the peripherals like your mice and keyboard to the
ROM on your motherboard, and thankfully, no one has made the misguided
suggestion those need to also be TLS certificates, and this is no
different. CAs are free to issue such certificates, using whatever rules
they like (as this ballot proposes), but from trust hierarchies not used by
browsers.

If the view is that such attributes are useful for user display, then
that's all the more reason they don't belong in TLS certificates, which are
used by browsers to validate bindings between keys and domains/IP
addresses. Those proposing certificates for user-facing information are
free to introduce their own, not-TLS certificates, and explore how to
expose that information to users. As X.509 certificates are *just* a
container format, conceptually no different than CMS, JWT, or heck, even
PDF, there's no reason to try to shoehorn everything into one certificate.
For use cases of human visibility, there's an even stronger argument for
not having them in TLS certificates: users don't understanding binding of
attributes to *keys*, they're just interested in binding of attributes to
*domains*, as that's what they're visibly interacting with. It makes sense
that a key would be bound to a domain name, but it makes no sense, for the
presumed use case, that a key, instead of a domain name, would be bound to
an organization or OU.

Attributes like OU, especially as proposed by this ballot, do cause harm.
At this point, every CA is well-familiar with the challenges posed by
information that is not technically necessary for certificates to function,
and which cannot be machine validated. It hinders issuance, it raises costs
and complexity to validate and integrate, it more frequently causes
disruptions (such as those caused by revocation, which itself was caused by
incomplete processes to begin with), and all to no benefit for anybody.
Precisely because this data cannot be interoperably validated, and
especially because this ballot proposes to remove obligations, I cannot see
a path forward here.

These objections aren't new; the same concerns were raised with GLEIF, both
in the extension of the Subject attribute, which is silly, but also in the
general principle of trying to tie everything into a single certificate.
For browsers in particular, and thus the raison d'être for this group,
there are plenty of ways to deliver additional certificates, especially for
user-visible attributes, as HTTP resources, and without hindering the TLS
authentication flow. Although I'm not claiming to speak for all browsers in
this message, you can see many of these same concepts and principles
explored in some of the joint-browser responses to the European Commission
that have been shared here in the Forum ([1], [2]), that examines the
user-harm through first- and second-order effects, and the technical
unsoundness.

Rather than wait and spend months discussing all of this, only to reach the
same conclusions here, or find we're just recycling the same views circled
in the CABF circa-2010, we should just remove the OU now. That provides
greater clarity, and greater user benefit, while ultimately upholds the
status quo as reflected in the BRs themselves.

[1]
https://archive.cabforum.org/pipermail/servercert-wg/2020-January/001555.html
[2]
https://archive.cabforum.org/pipermail/servercert-wg/2020-August/002172.html