[cabf_validation] Pre-Ballot Registration Agencies / Incorporating Agencies

Ryan Sleevi sleevi at google.com
Thu May 14 12:52:23 MST 2020

Doug,

Thanks for doing this. As I mentioned on GitHub, I think there's some
misunderstanding, below.

On Thu, May 14, 2020 at 3:32 PM Doug Beattie <doug.beattie at globalsign.com>
wrote:

> Ryan,
>

> I posted a couple of comments in GitHub, but wanted to provide them here
> as well for those that may not be following this thread.
>

> I’m OK with providing a list of Registration Agencies / Incorporating
> Agencies by name, but this ballot also requires CAs to define and document
> (in the list of disclosed Agencies) all of the following information:
>

>    1. The accepted values for the `subject:jurisdictionLocalityName`
>    (OID: 1.3.6.1.4.1.311.60.2.1.1), `subject:jurisdictionStateOrProvinceName`
>    (OID: 1.3.6.1.4.1.311.60.2.1.2), and `subject:jursidictionCountryName`
>    (OID: 1.3.6.1.4.1.311.60.2.1.3) fields when a certificate is issued using
>    information from that Incorporating Agency or Registration Agency,
>    indicating the jurisidction(s) that the Agency is appropriate for; and,

I'm not sure why this is difficult? This is already a requirement of the EV
Guidelines (that is, the values in a cert MUST be linked to the
Registration Agency / Agency of Incorporation). So you're already supposed
to be managing this and there should be exactly 1 value for each of these.

>    1. The accepted or allowed form or syntax of the Registration Number
>    used by the Incorporating Agency or Registration Agency, if known; and,
>
> "If known". This is optional, but it's listed so people know it's
useful/important and look to collect, which a number are.