[cabf_validation] Sub-CAs and CP policy OIDs

Ryan Sleevi sleevi at google.com
Thu Jun 4 14:49:44 MST 2020

On Tue, May 12, 2020 at 4:09 PM Ryan Sleevi <sleevi at google.com> wrote:

> I had an issue flagged by a CA and went and filed
> https://github.com/cabforum/documents/issues/179 to try to capture the
> issue
>
> The TL:DR: is how to handle a sub-CA that wishes to use the CABF OIDs
> within their end-entity certificates, but is not Affiliated with the Root.

Bumping this, and hoping to get some feedback from other root programs as
to whether or not they see it as an issue with the BRs, and whether the
attempted solution ( https://github.com/sleevi/cabforum-docs/pull/21 ) is
aligning in the right direction. As it is, it raises questions about
whether some Sub-CAs are in compliance, and creates challenges for issuing
new Sub-CAs, so I want to make sure we're moving in the right direction and
giving CAs the clarity they need from Root Programs.

Separate from that more immediate issue, I'm also starting to wonder
whether, longer-term, we should restructure how we handle these policy
OIDs, to make it easier for Relying Party software to use
certificatePolicies for verification, rather than the (implemented by
Google/Mozilla/Microsoft) EKU chaining behaviour. This would likely help
resolve some of the issues around separate trust frameworks, by more
clearly asserting the trust framework (or frameworks) a certificate belongs
to. That's not something we need to immediately tackle, as we can still
smoothly transition later, but the way our current requirements are
structured, which this PR tries to preserve, prevents that.