[cabf_validation] [EXTERNAL]Re: Suggested edits to draft Minutes of the September 12, 2019 Validation Subcommittee Call

Kirk Hall Kirk.Hall at entrustdatacard.com
Wed Sep 18 15:50:56 MST 2019

I have to admit that I did not scroll all the way to the end of your response to my edits, Ryan, so I didn’t see your comments at the bottom.

You asked me this question “[D]o you believe these details [added by my edits] are important for the minutes?”  My response is yes, I think the additional details I propose to add to the Minutes are very important.

On the call, you stated the following about Googles position on LEIs in EV certificates, as I included in my edits to the Minutes:

“***Google’s position is, again, that it would be actively harmful to include LEI numbers in EV certificates and Google doesn’t see a path forward at present to allow the issuance in TLS certificates without potentially blocking those certificates or even blocking the CA, and that’s a very serious thing but that’s the ecosystem harm that Google see by putting LEI numbers in EV certificates.”

You have said this before, and many CAs are wondering what the “ecosystem harm” is that you see from adding an organization’s LEI to an EV certificate as an extension after proper validation by the CA (that is the goal of the draft ballot we are working on now).  You have also said that validated LEIs added as extensions to EV certificates would be “actively harmful” to Chrome users.

These are pretty strong statements, and CAs who could have their roots distrusted in Chrome simply because they included an LEI number in a certificate (in the manner approval by a CABF ballot) are all eager to know: what is the “ecosystem harm” you see that would justify such a step by Google?  What is the harm from LEIs to Chrome users that you foresee?  We have asked for an explanation several times, but so far you have not responded.

The LEI ballot has been delayed by weeks because of your stated concerns, so at this point it would be useful to get a clear statement from Google on the harm LEI data so we can collectively respond, and perhaps even satisfy your concerns.  That would allow us to move forward on the ballot.

Many CAs and browsers were not on the call, and on such an important issue this (distrusting CA roots, ecosystem harm, etc.)  it’s appropriate to include relevant details taken from the meeting recording.