[cabf_validation] Topic for our next VWG call: LEI

Doug Beattie doug.beattie at globalsign.com
Wed Feb 6 10:37:28 MST 2019

Hi Rich,

Yes, we're getting inquires also.  I understand the requirements and those
statements from the BRs and EVGs for data contained in the certificate.  The
question I have is how should we handle a link to data that can change?  If,
at the time of issuance, the data in the certificate is validated, then we
have a good spec because the data is covered with a signature so we know it
can't be changed.  The issue with LEI is that the data can change post
issuance.  It's a bit like permitting a 3rd party to change the contents of
the certificate after issuance; we would certainly not permit that.  If
there was a hash of the LEI data in the certificate or if the LEI database
never changed (Merkle tree or something), then I have no issues, but it's
the fact the data can change post issuance and the CA never verified that,
yet it's asserting it's true by virtue of the link in the certificate.

Doug