[cabf_validation] OrganisationIdentifier mandated by ETSI TS 119 495

Ryan Sleevi sleevi at google.com
Thu Nov 15 13:06:54 MST 2018

On Thu, Nov 15, 2018 at 4:17 AM Adriano Santoni via Validation <
validation at cabforum.org> wrote:

> Maybe just because I am a European, I see no problem in referring to an
> ETSI norm in the EVGLs. Besides, ETSI norms are already referred to in the
> current EVGLs and in several RFCs. Some of them are even published as RFCs.

Can you provide citations, beyond the audit criteria?

> But if mentioning an ETSI spec in the EVGLs was a problem, that could be
> avoided by requiring that the content of organizationIdentifie "must
> conform to a public specification, published by a international SDO and
> freely available"... or something like that.

Right, and we're strongly opposed to this - which is the worst of all
worlds. I think we can find options and reasonable compromise, but I don't
think that, in the consideration of Internet-wide interoperability, we need
to avoid that. An SDO that makes the results freely available, but is only
pay-to-play - which, notably, includes ETSI - is not a productive outcome
for the community or the users.