[cabf_validation] [EXTERNAL]Re: Proposed draft Ballot 225 to strengthen EVGL 11.6 - Operational Existence

Ryan Sleevi sleevi at google.com
Wed May 23 13:11:38 MST 2018

I'm not sure that it certainly wouldn't make sense, and that's why I'm
trying to unpack.

The implicit statement of this ballot is that the existing methods of
verifying existence are insufficient. It then poses to change that, with
something that doesn't work across jurisdictional boundaries - as
rightfully pointed out. This means that there's going to be some degree of
interpretation, by CAs, as to whether or not a given jurisdiction meets
those requirements. Doesn't it make sense to normalize that interpretation?

That is, if we're rejecting a globally applicable situation, on the basis
of jurisdictional grounds, and expect to have per-jurisdiction exceptions,
then for the benefit of consistency, we should express these as
per-jurisdiction rules, rather than as general rules (subject to
interpretation) and exceptions.

I think the outcome is similar to what you pose: which is "Here's a method
for validating operational existence using financial information", and then
listing all the jurisdictions and countries that such a method is
applicable to. Then you also list "Here's a method for validating
operational existence using a pinky-swear", and then listing all the
jurisdictions and countries in which pinky-swears are legally binding and
appropriate.

What doesn't seem to make sense is "Here's the method for validating
operational existence", which then only describes financial information (or
pinky-swears), and then says "And if you can't do this, but you're in X, Y,
and Z, you can use pinky swears instead".