[cabf_validation] [EXTERNAL]Re: Proposed draft Ballot 225 to strengthen EVGL 11.6 - Operational Existence

Tim Hollebeek tim.hollebeek at digicert.com
Wed May 23 09:35:00 MST 2018

I’ve supported this for a long time. As much as I hate country-by-country rules, I don’t think jurisdiction-neutral validation requirements can always be written for requirements like this.  The world’s legal systems are just too diverse.  I think even with very good rules, country-specific exceptions are inevitable.

We had similar issues with questions of simple geography, which don’t have uniform global understandings.

-Tim

I’d suggest this:  Let CAs who operate in other countries propose future amendments to EVGL 11.6 on a country-by-country basis, with reasons (e.g., “we can’t do those checks here because…”) and with a proposal for an alternative method for verifying an Applicant’s “operational existence” in that country, with facts and evidence.  The Forum can then review adopt those proposals on a country-by-country basis – limited to Applicants in those countries only – and add them in an Appendix to the EVGL.  This can grow over time as needed.