[cabf_validation] Using 3.2.2.4.2/.3 for future domains

Peter Bowen pzb at amzn.com
Fri Mar 16 13:11:26 MST 2018

> On Mar 16, 2018, at 11:54 AM, Ryan Sleevi <sleevi at google.com> wrote:
>

> On Fri, Mar 16, 2018 at 2:43 PM, Peter Bowen <pzb at amzn.com <mailto:pzb at amzn.com>> wrote:
>

>> On Mar 16, 2018, at 11:34 AM, Ryan Sleevi <sleevi at google.com <mailto:sleevi at google.com>> wrote:
>>

>> On Fri, Mar 16, 2018 at 2:27 PM, Peter Bowen <pzb at amzn.com <mailto:pzb at amzn.com>> wrote:
>>> The argument for this goes that, since you know it's Identity I, any statement they make about Domain Y should logically be able to extend to Domain Z or Domain W, or Public Key X or Public Key F or any other sort of dimension, since you're assuming that this Identity I == Applicant-Attacker X, for any/all domains. The old model was that this presumption was given by default - 3.2.2.4.1. Under the today's model, it's not possible - you have to validate a binding of Domain Y and Domain Z and Domain W "separately", as they're requested. Under this new model, the argument is being made that the domain holder should be able to "opt-in" to skip validation for Domain Z and Domain W, based on a WHOIS match, once they've validated Domain Y. I'm sure the advocates might not call it "skipping" validation so much as "introducing alternative validation", but such alternative validation is the semantic equivalent to alternative facts - a problematic renaming that hides the fact that you are, in fact, skipping an explicit check for Domain Z and Domain W, on the basis of (at the time of validation for Z/W) an unrelated Domain Y.
>>
>> I disagree that it is skipping or introducing alternative validation.  A public TLS certificate requires that the Applicant demonstrate one of the following three things:
>>
>> 1) Control over hosts accessible at the exact FQDN in the certificate (test certificates, website changes, etc)
>>
>> 2) Control over a DNS namespace that is equal to or a superset of the FQDN or Wildcard Name (DNS change)
>>
>> 3) That an accepted controller for the DNS namespace (“owner”, “registrant”, “technical contact”, role, et al) has authorized the issuance
>>
>> It is this third option that is the root of the discussion at hand.  Natural persons can either take an action themselves or to delegate their authority to another — for example, they can issue a power of attorney that allows a different person to act in their place.  Legal entities are similar, except they never directly act; they always delegate to a natural person.  Entities can have multiple types of addresses: a postal mail address, an electronic mail address, a telephone number, etc.
>>
>> I think there are two questions:
>>
>> 1) Can a namespace controller, or their delegated representative, delegate their authority for certificate approval to someone else?

> [...]

I wasn’t asking about validation methods, I was asking about delegation of rights.  When a corporation appoints an officer (who can sign for the company, or put another way has a delegation from the corporation), it is persistent.  If I give someone power of attorney for financial matters, it isn’t only valid for bank accounts which existed at the time the PoA was signed.   If someone has the right to sell a domain, cancel a domain, or transfer a domain (all things which can be done by delegating the right to manage any domain with a given registrant entity), why should they not have the right to approve certificates for the domain?

Thanks,
Peter