[cabf_validation] DV Ballot / IETF ACME alignment

Robin Alden robin at comodo.com
Thu Feb 25 11:57:10 MST 2016

Peter, All,

                Sadly the version of the document I sent through earlier today
has picked up a weird behaviour (on my computer, at least) that the whole of
the document is duplicated.  Someone with more MS-Word-fu than I may be able
to sort it out but I haven't been able to.  The tell is that when you scroll
to the end you are at around page 18 instead of 9.

I've stepped back to an earlier version and re-made my most recent changes to
that version.

Peter, please would you incorporate these tracked changes into your master
version?

The changes are:

D (3)

adding the words "obtaining a response" to clarify that the recipient of the
telephone call must respond to confirm the applicant's request.

You may remember at the F2F someone brought up the question - 'What if the
phone is answered but no-one speaks?'

H (7) and J (7)

In both sections, replaced the word 'Either' with 'One of the following
sub-methods shall be used'.

In both sections, under (b), after the mention of "the maximum time specified
in section 3.3.1", adding the words

"(noting that other guidelines which rely on these BRs may have their own
shorter maximum time such as the EV Guidelines section 11.14.3)"

Z (Request Token) becomes:

Request Token: A value derived in a method specified by the CA which binds
this demonstration of control to the certificate request.

The Request Token SHALL incorporate the key used in the certificate request.

A Request Token MAY include a timestamp to indicate when it was created.

A Request Token MAY include other information to ensure its uniqueness.

A Request Token that includes a timestamp SHALL remain valid for no more than
30 days from the time of creation.

A Request Token that includes a timestamp SHALL be treated as invalid if its
timestamp is in the future.

A Request Token that does not include a timestamp is valid for a single use
and the CA SHALL NOT re-use it for a subsequent validation.

The binding SHALL use a digital signature algorithm or a cryptographic hash
algorithm at least as strong as that to be used in signing the certificate
request.

And I've added a new paragraph, currently after Z:

[Placeholder for examples/comments on Request Tokens]

Need a discussion whether these examples/comments go inline, as a footnote, or
in a separate appendix.

Examples of Request Tokens include, but are not limited to:

i)             a hash of the public key.

ii)            a hash of the Subject Public Key Info [X.509]

iii)           a hash of a PKCS#10 CSR

Any of the above Request Tokens may also be concatenated with a timestamp or
other data.

If a CA wanted to always use a hash of a PKCS#10 CSR as a Request Token and
did not want to incorporate a timestamp and did want to allow certificate key
re-use then the applicant might use the challenge password in the creation of
a CSR with OpenSSL to ensure uniqueness even if the subject and key are
identical between subsequent requests.

This simplistic shell command produces a Request Token which has a timestamp
and a hash of a CSR.

echo `date -u +%Y%m%d%H%M` `sha256sum <r2.csr` | sed "s/[ -]//g"

The script outputs:

201602251811c9c863405fe7675a3988b97664ea6baf442019e4e52fa335f406f7c5f26cf14f

The CA should define in its CPS (or in a document referenced from the CPS) the
format of Request Tokens it accepts.

Regards
Robin

uris.xhtml