[cabf_validation] updated draft ballot for domain validation - dated Jan. 27, 2016

Peter Bowen pzb at amzn.com
Wed Feb 10 10:49:49 MST 2016

As .io is a country code TLD, they are not subject to ICANN operating agreements, as I understand it.  According to the root DB (http://www.iana.org/domains/root/db/io.html <http://www.iana.org/domains/root/db/io.html>), nic.io is the operator of the ccTLD.  See their FAQ (http://www.iana.org/domains/root/db/io.html <http://www.iana.org/domains/root/db/io.html>), in question17 where they list the different contact types.

"Each domain has five different contacts - Owner, Admin, Technical, Billing and Registrar.

Owner: This should be the contacts details for the organisation, or individual, for whom the name has been registered.

Admin: The Admin contact has the same control over the domain as the Owner has but they are not the owner, they are simply allowed to act on behalf of the owner.”

While I agree that ICANN has not used the term owner, it is clear that some ccTLDs do use that term.  The BRs should allow CAs to use that data if the registry/registrar uses that term.

Thanks,
Peter