[cabf_validation] [cabfPAG] Domain Validation Methods Proposal

kirk_hall at trendmicro.com kirk_hall at trendmicro.com
Wed Jul 29 14:13:59 MST 2015

OK, well perhaps all this will become clearer when the PAG meeting Minutes are available.  Working Groups don't usually keep Minutes -- who is drafting these, and when will they be available?

Just to be clear, the original authorization for creation of a PAG was contained in the full Minutes of the last Forum meetings, July 9 and 23 (see excerpts below).  The PAG should follow the procedures set forth in the IPR agreement we all signed, and should not go off in a different direction.  The procedure to follow is laid out at some length in Sec. 4 and 7 of the attached policy, so that's the process we should follow.  I would point out that under Sec. 7.1, a PAG is only formed  "[i]n the event a patent has been disclosed that may contain an Essential Claim, but such Essential Claim is not available under CAB Forum RF Licensing ***."  Under Sec. 7.2, " A PAG may also be convened in the event Essential Claims are discovered after a Guideline is issued."  So it seems the first step is for someone to assert or identify an Essential Claim that the PAG needs to address -- otherwise, there is no basis for forming a PAG.  Is anyone asserting an Essential Claim that is in conflict with anything?  That's what we need to know first - until we have that, there's nothing for the PAG to work on.

Here are the excerpts from the Forum minutes

July 9 Minutes:

9.	Request to form PAG (Patent Advisory Group): Ryan Sleevi was unable to join. Dean gave a summary of the PAG per the IPR Policy (section 7) and referred to Ryan’s memo to the public list. He also called for volunteers and the following came forward: Mat-Apple, Gerv-Mozilla, Ben-Digicert, Dean-Symantec, Jody-Microsoft. It was assumed that someone from Google will also join but that is not confirmed. Dean will publish a request to the membership for other volunteers. The PAG will need to appoint a chair and convene a meeting. Dean will request that a new mailing list be created.

July 23 Minutes

8.	PAG formation: Dean reiterated the formation of the Patent Advisory Group, in accordance with the IPR policy. The first call will be on 7/24 and a chair will be elected. An email list has been created: pag at cabforum.org