[Servercert-wg] Discussion Period Begins - Ballot SC-080 V1: "Sunsetting use of WHOIS to identify Domain Contacts"

Mike Shaver mike.shaver at gmail.com
Wed Sep 18 12:43:03 UTC 2024

Here's maybe a helpful way to frame the discussion: if the BRs didn't
permit WHOIS/domain-registry-website DCV right now, and someone proposed
adding it, what would we need to see in the associated ballot to be
comfortable that it didn't represent a weakening of the sans-WHOIS DCV
model? Would we permit it only for gTLD based on IANA requiring that there
at least be a server operated? Would we permit unencrypted RFC-3912 wire
transactions at all, in any case?

The migration timeline will be a source of tension between "improve the
security of the web" and "impose work on people who have been relying on
the ease of WHOIS DCV", but it's not clear to me that this group even has
consensus on what a desirable communicate-with-domain-registrant DCV would
look like after a successful migration period.

Mike