[Servercert-wg] Discussion Period Begins - Ballot SC-080 V1: "Sunsetting use of WHOIS to identify Domain Contacts"

Amir Omidi amir at aaomidi.com
Mon Sep 16 19:25:41 UTC 2024

> I also agree with deprecating this method but we could do it in a planned
and controlled fashion. Not all validations with this method are flawed, as
it is currently presented.

I don't think this framing is correct. WHOIS is both unstructured and
unauthenticated data.

I would also say that `.mobi` isn't necessarily a "vanity TLD" - and beyond
that, a vanity TLD is still part of this ecosystem. WebPKI should try its
best to not discriminate between TLDs.

A compromise for removing these methods can be allowing re-use of existing
authorizations done with these deprecated methods with a cut off date of
Sept 10th 2024 (around the time the watchtowr report was released), while
removing them for use for new authorizations. This would effectively buy
folks about a year time to migrate.