[Servercert-wg] Fwd: Re: Ballot SC31 - Browser Alignment

Dimitris Zacharopoulos (HARICA) dzacharo at harica.gr
Mon Jun 29 21:34:08 MST 2020

Dear Members,

I'd like to remind everyone that this is the second time in very short
time that we are having an unpleasant (at least for me) philosophical
discussion about "why are we all here" that seems to be addressing the
"the purpose of the Forum". I encourage people to review this relevant
thread
<https://lists.cabforum.org/pipermail/public/2019-October/014803.html>
and the minutes from F2F 48
<https://cabforum.org/2019/12/12/minutes-for-ca-browser-forum-f2f-meeting-48-guangzhou-5-7-november-2019/#Any-Other-Business>.

As the Forum and SCWG Chair, I am obligated to interpret the Bylaws as
objectively as possible. In this particular case, section 1.1 ( Purpose
of the Forum) and section 1.3 (Intellectual Property Rights Policy;
Antitrust Laws and Regulations; Goal; Conduct) are clear about the
purpose, the Goal and how to achieve these goals.

/"The historic goal of Forum activities (including development of
proposed requirements and guidelines and voting on all matters) has been
to seek substantial consensus among Forum Members before proceeding or
adopting final work product, and this goal will remain for the future.
Members shall not use their participation in the Forum either to promote
their own products and offerings or to restrict or impede the products
and offerings of other Members."/

Certificate Issuers and Consumers that bring ballots for discussion and
voting, must constantly keep in mind these rules and most importantly,
must meet the spirit of this Forum which is an consensus-oriented
industry group where all voting members should be treated equally.
Historically we've seen ballots improving the overall security of the
ecosystem and these improvements have been proposed from both Voting
Member categories.

Historically Certificate Consumers had divergences from the Forum's
Guidelines which were expressed via the individual Certificate Consumer
Root Program Policies. Participating CAs had to adhere to the Forum's
Guidelines (thus the "baseline") AND each of the individual Certificate
Consumer Root Policy. This hasn't changed, nor is it likely to change in
the future because each Certificate Consumer, understandably, wants to
preserve the right for independent decisions. These divergences were
usually captured in each CA's CP/CPS which auditors are supposed to
audit in addition to the standards. This means that there is already
independent assurance for these additional requirements as well.

If the existing purpose of the Forum doesn't meet the expectations of a
Certificate Consumer, this can only be changed via a ballot.

Dimitris
CA/B Forum and SCWG Chair