[Servercert-wg] Initial Vote Results on Ballot SC22: Reduce Certificate Lifetimes (v2)

Jeremy Rowley jeremy.rowley at digicert.com
Wed Sep 11 16:50:50 MST 2019

I know we missed voting on Ballot SC22, and that was my fault. We’re trying to navigate decision making that takes into consideration both our customers and our browser counterparts. After receiving direct feedback from our customers, we were stuck between a rock and a hard place as to making a yes/no vote. Although a plurality of internal opinions are in favor of 1-year certificates, we found it hard to make a final statement on a topic that our customers directly disagree with as the proposed ballot doesn’t give them enough time for change management. By the time we came to a decision the ballot was already defeated. In retrospect, we would we had voted yes during the ballot period.

I’m posting here because I want it on record, if not in vote, that DigiCert is in favor of 1-year certs. Previously, I posted the challenges associated with moving to 1-year certs, but overall, we know this change will benefit the ecosystem. If we could vote now, we would vote in favor of Ballot SC22.

I know 1-year certs cause concerns for our customers, but we believe it’s the right view in light of security. And, we’re working on tools to support customers as they make the switch, now or later, to 1-year certs.

We apologize again for missing the vote.

Jeremy