[Servercert-wg] [EXTERNAL] State or Province

Richard Smith rich at sectigo.com
Thu Sep 5 06:24:37 MST 2019

Ryan,
I agree with your reasoning, but would not support making ISO 3166-2 a MUST because I don’t have 100% confidence in it’s accuracy across all jurisdictions, and I’m concerned by the inherent political nature of the specification (see Kosovo and the reasoning behind the CA/B Forum allowing user defined country code XX).  I would support wording along the lines of, “CAs SHOULD check the ST field against ISO 3166-2 prior to issuance and flag deviations for additional scrutiny,” but I’m not sure how useful any ‘SHOULD do thus and such’ directive is in a CA/B Forum standard which SHOULD be auditable.

Regards,
Rich