[Servercert-wg] Ballot SC22: Reduce Certificate Lifetimes

Jeremy Rowley jeremy.rowley at digicert.com
Tue Aug 27 13:01:41 MST 2019

There’s a problem with this ballot most people are ignoring and that’s that any CA voting is “damned if you do and damned if you don’t”. I suspect almost everyone will wait until the last minute to vote, to see how the ballot is going to turn out, for a couple of reasons.
First, CAs are getting a lot of different input and some CAs believe there are some business advantages to opposing this ballot, regardless of the outcome. Any CA that votes for this ballot will have other CAs use that as marketing material against the voting CA. We saw this with the last change (from 3 years to 2 years) and with the underscore character deprecation.  Regardless of outcome, with 85% of the customers answering the survey against the change in validity period, the risk is high that a CA will face some negative reaction if they vote in the affirmative.
On the other side, all of the browsers seem universally aligned with the change and the security reasons for the change are (imo) compelling. To avoid being dragged into the middle, the safest bet for a CA is to not vote. The second safest bet is to wait until the ballot draws out and then vote no if the ballot will pass.  I dislike the politics on the voting so I’m hoping calling attention to them will mix things up.
Second, voting “no” gives the CA someone to blame for the change that insulates the CA from ramification of the change. The blame then can be on the ballot voters for the shortened lifecycle. Angry customers can be deflected to the browsers/CAs who vote yes.  Waiting for the browsers to do this unilaterally is the safest CA action for any CA because then you can point to the browsers, even if you agree with the change. Anyway. That’s my two cents.
Strategy aside, the concerns we’ve heard from customers and internal people about the ballot run down as follows with the following solutions:

  1.  The timing.  The ballot is proposed for April. April is tax season. Since we have a lot of banks and government entities, tax season is hard for them. A shift to 1-year certs doesn’t present significant technical obstacles in making the change, but the problem in getting approvals is bureaucratic, meaning the change in policy needs to happen before the effective date. It’s not accurate to say we have until March 2021 to migrate people to 1-year certs because the approval to migrate to 1-year certs must happen in March 2020.  This also happens to coincide with when we are shutting down some legacy Symantec systems. When you combine the two, you end up with a very awkward month for several customers facing both a console migration and a profile migration, even though the profile migration is small.

  1.  Automation. Automation is closely tied to the timing issue imo. Many of our customers still haven’t deployed widespread automation in their environments. We have tools that some customers are using, but deployment still needs some work. We can tell you from our metrics that DigiCert customers aren’t using the tools we have available. Talking to people, we know this is because they want to control the end points, don’t want to open ports on their system, need audit approval before deploying automated solutions, or want to be able to control the automated tools better.  Whatever the reason, there are some subscribers that don’t want/need automated tools to manager their certificates.  For these subscribers, moving to 1-year certs effectively doubles the resources required to manage their certificates.  However, “automation” does not need to mean full automation. Instead, automation can mean faster cert deployment – really anything that simplifies the certificate process. So happens, we have a solution for these customers slated for mid-next year (June). Delaying until June allows us to address the problem with automation…. assuming the roadmap stays intact. 😊   I would have liked to release it sooner, but we wanted to shut down the legacy systems first. I realize other delays have not been favorably granted, but the reason for this delay is to kill two concerns with one stone – the approval process required by government entities/banks and to address the automation concerns.

  1.  Verification. Re-verification of entity information every year isn’t a significant obstacle except for the verification of authority. Calling a person’s supervisor to confirm their relationship to the organization takes a long time and places a significant burden on someone generally not part of the certificate enrollment process. I think we should add a new method to verify authority. We can do this from now through the effective date of the ballot.  We’ll need to work out the details, but anything that can ease the burden of requiring reconfirmation of employment annually would address this concern.  Tim and I will brainstorm on something and propose it to address this issue. If you can address authority, you address the complexity in issuance.