[Servercert-wg] Ballot SC22: Reduce Certificate Lifetimes

Christian Heutger ch at psw.net
Wed Aug 21 15:22:44 MST 2019

> I think it's important to note that these responses can be read, and certainly read to me, as a powerful display of how dysfunctional many enterprise customers remain today, when it comes to
> their certificate configuration and in how they view automation and modernization. That so many organizations continue to mistakenly believe that doubling their manual renewal rate would
> cause severe disruption, or that automation of certificate issuance is an unimportant aspect of their own organizational security and agility, is a compelling reason to proceed with this ballot and
> mandate reduced certificate lifetimes. The survey results make clear that many current enterprise customers are not prioritizing this work on their own, and that a mandate covering all CAs at
> once is likely the only effective way to drive progress here.

Or it shows, that enterprises reject automatism because of many reasons and prefer a systematic change management process. In which position are you to force enterprises to be unable to decide, if they prefer automation or want to stay on a formal change management? And it’s not about just a one year validity period, it’s about that this won’t be the last step. So this lowering down of lifetimes as workaround instead of working directly on the primary problem and issue should be negotiated at all and enforcing companies to follow your position on automation is really a bit arrogant.