[Servercert-wg] [cabf_validation] Underscores, DNSNames, and SRVNames

Wayne Thayer wthayer at mozilla.com
Thu Oct 18 22:59:28 MST 2018

Here is a draft ballot that reflects my understanding of the outcome of our
discussion in Shanghai. I would appreciate your review of the language for
any logic gaps and for clarity. I'm also looking for two endorsers.

- Wayne

Ballot SC## - Sunset of Underscores in DNSNames

Purpose of Ballot

Ballot 202 included a provision creating a permanent exception permitting
the underscore character to be used in SAN fields of type DNSName. Since
that ballot failed in 2017, the practice has continued despite being
non-compliant with RFC 5280. This ballot creates a brief sunset period
intended to allow Subscribers who are relying on FQDNs containing
underscores to transition away from them, either by changing the name or
deploying a wildcard certificate.

The following motion has been proposed by Wayne Thayer of Mozilla and
endorsed by xxx of yyy and xxx of yyy.

--- MOTION BEGINS ---
Add the following language to BR section 7.1.4.2.1 (Subject Alternative
Name Extension):

Prior to February 1, 2020, certificates containing underscore characters in
domain labels in DNSName entries MAY be issued as follows:
* DNSName entries MAY include underscore characters (“_”) in domain labels
such that replacing all underscore characters with hyphen characters (“-“)
would result in a valid domain label, and;
* After May 31, 2019, such certificates MUST NOT be valid for longer than
45 days.

All certificates containing an underscore character in any DNSName entry
and having a validity period of more than 45 days MUST be revoked prior to
June 1, 2019.

--- MOTION ENDS ---

This ballot proposes a Final Maintenance Guideline. A comparison of the
changes can be found at: <TBD>

The procedure for approval of this ballot is as follows:

Discussion (7-21 days)
Start Time: 2018-10-xx, 7:00 am Eastern Time
End Time: Not before 2018-10-xx, 7:00 am Eastern Time

Vote for approval (7 days)
Start Time: 2018-xx-xx, 7:00 am Eastern Time
End Time: 2018-xx-xx, 7:00 am Eastern Time