[cabfpub] Limitation of Liability and Indemnification

Ryan Sleevi sleevi at google.com
Mon Oct 23 15:26:25 UTC 2017

On Mon, Oct 23, 2017 at 10:54 AM, Gervase Markham <gerv at mozilla.org> wrote:

> On 23/10/17 14:55, Ryan Sleevi wrote:
> > I don't believe this is correct or supported by fact, Gerv, nor
> > supported by the limits of liability if you review CA's CP/CPS.
>
> I'm not sure what you mean. If you mean the limits I'm suggesting are
> currently not offered by CAs, well of course they aren't.

No, I mean both with respect to the misissuance of EV (I can think of
several CAs that have done so) and to the terms of claiming liability (I
encourage you to read the CP/CPSes of those who have).

I'm curious whether there has ever been a successful claim of liability.
Certainly, the claims of insurance to date have been rejected.

> > We are very much opposed to increasing liability, and I'm surprised to
> > see Mozilla advocating it, given its past votes to abolish liability
> > requirements from EV given the practical challenges they face.
>
> Reminder?
>
> You mean Google sees CA liability for misissuance as a paper tiger?

Ballot 141 -
https://cabforum.org/2015/01/19/ballot-141-elimination-ev-insurance-requirement-financial-responsibility-mis-issued-certificates/
- and Ballot 142 -
https://cabforum.org/2015/01/19/ballot-142-elimination-ev-insurance-requirement/