[cabfpub] Limitation of Liability and Indemnification

Virginia Fournier vfournier at apple.com
Thu Oct 12 21:38:12 UTC 2017

Message: 3
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2017 00:18:33 +0300
From: "Moudrick M. Dadashov" <md at ssc.lt <mailto:md at ssc.lt>>
To: Virginia Fournier via Public <public at cabforum.org <mailto:public at cabforum.org>>
Subject: Re: [cabfpub] Limitation of Liability and Indemnification

Could you please explain why you think BR and EV Requirements are only
binding on members of the Forum?

Thanks,
M.D.

Hi M.D.

I can see why this would be hard to understand.

Entities who are not members of the Forum have nothing that would legally bind them to abide by those limitations.  They aren’t members, so they aren’t bound by any of the Forum documents - Bylaws, Baseline Requirements, etc.  They don’t have a written agreement with the Forum to abide by certain requirements, so they’re not bound that way either.

The best way to make the limitations binding on the Subscribers, Relying Parties, etc. would be for the CAs to enter into agreements with those parties, and try to get them to agree to the limitations.  But, again, they could just ignore the limitations.

As an example, let’s say you and I make an agreement that you will sell a car to my friend Bob for $5,000.  We sign the agreement and you’re ready to deliver the car to Bob.  You get to Bob’s house, and he wants the car for $2,000.  You say that you agreed with me to sell it for $5,000.  Bob says tough turnips, he wasn’t part of that agreement, it’s his money, and he won’t pay more than $2,000.  You would have no choice but to sell Bob the car for $2,000 or find a new buyer.  The agreement that you and I made for $5,000 isn’t binding on Bob, because he wasn’t part of the agreement.  Does that make sense?

Virginia