[cabfpub] Ballot 189 - Amend Section 6.1.7 of Baseline Requirements

Dimitris Zacharopoulos jimmy at it.auth.gr
Thu Mar 30 17:03:16 UTC 2017

On 30/3/2017 7:49 μμ, Ryan Sleevi wrote:
> Dimitris,
>
> I'm unclear on your goals with #2, despite having participated in the
> thread.
>
> For example, despite being very familiar with this topic, I must
> admit, I'm confused as to what "participate in a hierarchy that issues
> Certificates with an extKeyUsage" means.
>
> There's at least two possible readings:
> 1) From the root, through the intermediates, etc, a certificate is
> issued with id-kp-serverAuth. This is the "flow upward" approach,
> where *if* it's possible to issue such a certificate, this applies
> 2) It only applies if the root directly issues such a certificate
>
> There's problems with both interpretations, however
> 1) As worded, it could be seen as 'not applying' if the server doesn't
> _issue_ such a certificate, but is technically capable of doing so.
>   That is, consider a root with an anyEKU, an intermediate with an
> anyEKU, and a leaf with id-kp-timeStamping. As worded, this would be
> seen as "out of scope", while under the existing language, it would be
> clearly in scope, which is the desired outcome
> 2) would be seriously under-scoped, since we know it's rare for such
> intermediates to exist
>

> Could you clarify a bit more on the timestamping concern here? The
> root MUST NOT sign an id-kp-timeStamping certificate directly, as
> worded, but it's unclear if you think that's incorrect and should be
> permitted.

The intention is that it MUST NOT be permitted to directly sign a
id-kp-timeStamping certificate from such a Root. The reason behind this
is that only Roots that participate in a hierarchy that eventually
issues publicly trusted SSL certificates should have this rule. Roots
that participate in a hierarchy that does not issue SSL end-entity
certificates should not need to follow this rule. Could you please offer
some improvement language to make this clearer?

Thanks,
Dimitris.