[cabfpub] Naming rules

Kirk Hall Kirk.Hall at entrustdatacard.com
Sun Mar 5 01:55:55 UTC 2017

Great explanation, Peter - thanks.

Gerv - maybe the BR rules came from X520?  file:///C:/Users/khall/Downloads/T-REC-X.520-201610-I!!PDF-E.pdf<file:///C:\Users\khall\Downloads\T-REC-X.520-201610-I!!PDF-E.pdf>

We may already have a solution that does not require any further action by the CABF.  BR 9.16.3 shown below allows a CA to modify any BR requirement  that conflicts with local law by (1) giving a statement and explanation in Sec. 9.16.3 of its CPS, and (2) sending a message to the CABF questions@ list with the same information.

It seems that section would apply where a national government requires a CA to use Subject Names from a Directory Information Tree operated by the national government, and that Tree conflicts with the BR naming rules.  Does anyone disagree?

Li-Chun -- can you solve your problem simply by following the rules in BR 9.16.3?

9.16.3. Severability

In the event of a conflict between these Requirements and a law, regulation or government order (hereinafter 'Law') of any jurisdiction in which a CA operates or issues certificates, a CA MAY modify any conflicting requirement to the minimum extent necessary to make the requirement valid and legal in the jurisdiction. This applies only to operations or certificate issuances that are subject to that Law. In such event, the CA SHALL immediately (and prior to issuing a certificate under the modified requirement) include in Section 9.16.3 of the CA’s CPS a detailed reference to the Law requiring a modification of these Requirements under this section, and the specific modification to these Requirements implemented by the CA.

The CA MUST also (prior to issuing a certificate under the modified requirement) notify the CA/Browser Forum of the relevant information newly added to its CPS by sending a message to questions at cabforum.org and receiving confirmation that it has been posted to the Public Mailing List and is indexed in the Public Mail Archives available at https://cabforum.org/pipermail/public/ (or such other email addresses and links as the Forum may designate), so that the CA/Browser Forum may consider possible revisions to these Requirements accordingly.