[cabfpub] Ballot 188 - Clarify use of term "CA" in Baseline Requirements

Dimitris Zacharopoulos jimmy at it.auth.gr
Wed Mar 1 07:02:55 UTC 2017

On 1/3/2017 12:47 πμ, Ryan Sleevi wrote:
> Hi Dimitris,
>
> Unfortunately, it doesn't sound like we're on the same page. While I
> appreciate the effort you and Ben and others have worked on this, I
> think this proposal creates new security vulnerabilities in both
> ambiguity and loopholes.

Nobody can claim that we didn't try to get on the same page :) I also
(and surely other members) appreciate your efforts to make sure the
policies and standards are secure and unambiguous and your opinion is
always important and respected.

> My request would be that you consider withdrawing the ballot or that
> members who support this change to No, so that it can be worked on in
> the policy group to resolve these issues. I would suggest that given
> the issues are, in part I suspect, due to misunderstandings about the
> concerns/threats, it might be best to table this until after the F2F.

I can't imagine that Mozilla, Entrust, Globalsign, Digicert (that
already voted "Yes") didn't read through the ballot and didn't consider
these misunderstandings. As I've heard people say in this Forum, perfect
is the enemy of good. In my previous replies, I tried to engage more
members who feel that the current language of the ballot creates more
ambiguities than it fixes. Judging from the silence from other members,
I believe that the benefits outweigh the downsides creating an
"acceptable" ballot, which could very well be improved very soon. In
fact, it would be great if you could offer some edits to the ballot to
make it even clearer. The intentions of the changes introduced by the WG
have been clear and the main concern you raised (audits for all
Subordinate CAs) are covered by a BRs part which remains untouched (the
first paragraph of Section 8.1). If we could proceed with an updated
ballot (with fewer changes so we can address the specific concerns you
still believe to exist) right after the F2F, there is no risk.

Even though HARICA proposed the ballot, it was a WG effort so I cannot
take full responsibility of withdrawing the ballot or suggesting members
to vote "No" without any feedback from other endorsers or other members
who I would like to reply to this, and offer their opinion, especially
if they feel that the ballot must be withdrawn. As this is a public
discussion, every voting member can judge on their own for what's best,
after reading this thread.

You also referred to Peter's email
(https://cabforum.org/pipermail/policyreview/2016-November/000358.html).
Peter participated in some WG meetings after this e-mail and we
discussed this and so many other variations. They all had some pros and
cons, so we ended up with the proposed language on this ballot.

Best regards,
Dimitris.