[cabfpub] C=GR, C=UK exceptions in BRs

Dimitris Zacharopoulos jimmy at it.auth.gr
Fri Mar 17 11:26:34 UTC 2017

We came across an interesting request which relates to a probably unique
situation for Greece, but also exists for UK.

 From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_3166-1_alpha-2, it is documented
that the European Commission
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Commission> generally uses ISO
3166-1 alpha-2 codes *with two exceptions*: EL (not GR) is used to
represent Greece and UK (not GB) is used to represent the United Kingdom.

Here is the official Country codes list
http://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/statistics-explained/index.php/Glossary:Country_codes.
There is no doubt that there are several laws, treaties and other legal
documents supporting these two exceptions.

According to the BRs 7.1.4.2.2.h

"the subject:countryName MUST contain the two-letter ISO 3166-1 country
code associated with the location of the Subject verified under Section
3.2.2.1. If the subject:organizationName field is absent, the
subject:countryName field MAY contain the two-letter ISO 3166-1 country
code associated with the Subject as verified in accordance with Section
3.2.2.3. If a Country is not represented by an official ISO 3166-1
country code, the CA MAY specify the ISO 3166-1 user-assigned code of XX
indicating that an official ISO 3166-1 alpha-2 code has not been assigned."

If I'm reading this correctly, we can't currently use the C=EL in
BR-compliant SSL Certificates. Would we need to amend the BRs and add an
exception for these two Countries or could we invoke 9.16.3?

I tried to search for previous discussions on this topic but couldn't
find something useful. Any guidance on this would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Dimitris.