[cabfpub] Final minutes - CA/Browser Forum Face to Face meeting - June 21-22, 2017

Kirk Hall Kirk.Hall at entrustdatacard.com
Wed Jul 26 21:07:38 UTC 2017

Face to Face CA/Browser Forum - Meeting 41 – Minutes (approved July 20, 2017)
Day 1 - Wednesday, 21 June 2017
Attendees:
Adriano Santoni (Actalis), Andrew Whalley (Google), Arkadiusz Ławniczak (Certum), Arno Fiedler (D-Trust), Atsushi Inaba (GlobalSign), Ben Wilson (DigiCert), Benjamin Chiang (ChungHwa Telecom), Bruce Morton (Entrust), Chris Bailey (Entrust), Coenelia Enke (SwissSign), Curt Spann (Apple), Dean Coclin (Symantec), Devon O’Brien (Google), Dimitris Zacharopoulos (Harica), Don Sheehy (WebTrust), Doug Beattie (GlobalSign), Enrico Entschew (D-Trust), Fotis Loukos (SSL.com), Frank Corday (Trustwave), Franck LeRoy (Certinomis), Geoff Keating, (Apple), Gervase Markham (Mozilla), Iñigo Barreira (StartCom), JP Hamilton (Cisco), Janet Treasure (CPA Canada), Jens Bender (BSI), Jeff Ward (WebTrust), Jos Purvis (Cisco), Karolina Ruszczyńska (Certum), Kim Nyugen (D-Trust), Kirk Hall (Entrust), Leo Grove (SSL.com), Li-Chun Chen (Chunghwa Telecom - telephone), Mads Henriksveen (Buypass), Marcin Szulga (Certum), Masakazu Asano (GlobalSign), Mike Reilly (Microsoft), Moudrick Dadashov (SSC), Neil Dunbar (Trustcor), Peter Bowen (Amazon - telephone), Peter Miscovic (Disig - telephone), Phillip Hallam-Baker (Comodo - telephone), Rich Smith (Comodov- telephone), Richard Wang (WoSign), Robin Alden (Comodo), Ryan Hurst (Google), Ryan Sleevi (Google), Sissel Hoel (Buypass), Steve Medin (Symantec), Tim Shirley (Trustwave), Tobias Zatti (Symantec), Tyler Myers (GoDaddy), Virginia Fournier (Apple - telephone), Wayne Thayer (GoDaddy)
Official Welcome from Conference Host Kim Nguyen, D-Trust
Recap of Prelim Matters, Review Agenda and Logistics
Antitrust Statement & Assign Note Takers
Misc. Items of Business:
Opening statement, welcome new members
Apple Root Program Update
Note Taker: Bruce Morton
Apple Revocation
Apple played a session "Your Apps and Evolving Network Security Standards, Session 701", https://developer.apple.com/videos/play/wwdc2017/701/. This session is available to download, but you will need a developer account. The session discussed revocation:

  *   Apple will currently only check revocation if the server is using OCSP Stapling.
  *   OCSP has issues as it needs an additional connection and is performed in the clear. There can be a privacy issue where a CA could aggregate data about an end user.
  *   OCSP Stapling has an advantage as there is no additional network connection and the OCSP status is sent with the SSL handshake.
  *   OCSP does not protect against malicious servers which could omit the OCSP response.
  *   Apple revocation enhancement will gather data such as the Intermediate CAs from the CT logs.
  *   For Roots and Intermediate CAs, Apple will gather all revocation information from CRLs and aggregate for their clients. If the CRL response indicates the certificate is revoked, then the client will check OCSP and status will be based on the OCSP response.
  *   CRL update will eventually happen on a daily basis.
  *   Lossy compression will be used for large CRLs where it is expected to have false positives (i.e., indicate revoked) at about 2%.
  *   For many sites, OCSP hits will go to zero, for others it will stay the same.
  *   What can the CA do to help? 1) Ask customers to OCSP Staple, 2) Update your CRL, 3) Issue full CRL from time-to-time if you are using issuingDistributionPoint, 4) Put certificates in CT or put I at least certificate in CT that references the CRL.
  *   If there is an issue contact ca-program at group.apple.com<mailto:ca-program at group.apple.com> .
  *   Apple is not putting any new requirements on CAs.
  *   Deployed in an OS release later in 2017.
Q: The false-positive rate is indicated at 2%. When a false positive is encountered, that means clients will perform an OCSP check to determine if it was a false positive, and only fail if it receives a revoked response, correct? A: Correct
Q: Does this mean that there will be a stampede of clients all attempting to connect to an OCSP server when a popular site appears in that false-positive list? A: Because these OCSP servers already need to handle clients making these requests, it should not produce additional load. Q: But macOS and iOS disable OCSP checking by default, except for EV certificates, right? This would potentially mean OCSP responders for DV/OV sites encounter substantially more load than today.
Q: When a site is on the false positive list, it potentially means that its users on macOS and iOS will have a slower-than-normal experience. Is there anything the site operator can do? A: Sites in this situation should implement OCSP stapling. If this is impossible, CAs may consider issuing a new certificate with a different serial number, which probably won’t be a false positive. Occasionally (not every update), the hashes may change, and then a different set of certificates will cause false positives. This is most likely to happen when the number of revoked certificates changes significantly. If OCSP stapling is impossible for a small number of very popular sites, a CA might consider issuing those certificates from a different intermediate, which should have very few revoked certificates. Small lists of revoked certificates will be represented directly and will cause no false positives.
Apple Trust Store Update

  *   Apple is refining the audit requirements; no announcement yet.
  *   In the future, Apple hopes to provide a machine readable formats for trusted roots.
  *   With the new revocation system, the browser will make revocation harder to click-through.
  *   CT log approvals have been updated, but not published yet.
  *   CT logging continues to be supported for EV.
Google Root Program Update.
Speaker: Andrew Whalley Note Taker: Robin Alden
Introducing
Introducing Devon O'Brien
He has been with Google for around for 4 weeks!
A fellow security TPM in the chrome team. Will be focusing on PKI, CT, and general chrome stuff. He was formerly with Apple.
Wosign/Startcom
As previously announced<https://security.googleblog.com/2016/10/distrusting-wosign-and-startcom.html>, Chrome has been in the process of removing trust from certificates issued by the CA WoSign and its subsidiary StartCom.
We started the phase out in Chrome 56 by only trusting certificates issued prior to October 21st 2016, and subsequently restricted trust to a set of white-listed host-names based on the Alexa Top 1M. We have been reducing the size of the whitelist over the course of several Chrome releases.
Beginning with Chrome 61, the whitelist will be removed, resulting in full distrust of the existing WoSign and StartCom root certificates and all certificates they have issued.
Based on the Chromium Development Calendar<https://www.chromium.org/developers/calendar>, this change should be visible in the Chrome Dev channel<https://www.chromium.org/getting-involved/dev-channel> in the coming weeks, the Chrome Beta channel around late July 2017, and will be released to Stable around mid September 2017.
UI
End of April we posted "Next Steps Toward More Connection Security" on the Google Security blog.
Beginning in October 2017, Chrome will show the “Not secure” warning in two additional situations: when users enter data on an HTTP page, and on all HTTP pages visited in Incognito mode. Eventually, we plan to show the “Not secure” warning for all HTTP pages.
Superfish
Superfish is adware that came installed on certain Lenovo laptops sold in 2015. Superfish MITMs all users with the same (now public) private key. All users with the Superfish root installed are vulnerable to trivial MITM on any HTTPS website. Superfish was discovered and addressed in 2015 with a Microsoft/Lenovo response.
It turns out that the Superfish software also uses SHA-1 signatures, which Chrome started blocking in M57. When M57 went to stable, users who still had Superfish installed now saw ERR_CERT_WEAK_SIGNATURE_ALGORITHM certificate errors on every HTTPS website.
In the future we will detect Superfish is installed and provide much more specific information to allow users to remove it. We would like to do this in more cases - provide users with more specific actionable feedback.
Chris Bailey: Are you making those a new category of action? Andrew: Yes - specific advice steps
Speaker: Ryan Sleevi
CT
We lost one log (PuChuang<https://www.cabforum.org/wiki/PuChuang>) but gained two new open ones (DigiCert<https://www.cabforum.org/wiki/DigiCert>, Symantec), which we’ll be sending an update to the ct-policy at chromium.org<mailto:ct-policy at chromium.org> list on shortly. Further, there are two other logs from Comodo who have recently completed their monitoring period and which will also have an update to ct-policy@ with respect to the Chrome versions they will be trusted in.
TLS
Work continues with TLS 1.3. We continue to see wide-scale deployment issues due to TLS inspection devices. TLS interception remains a significant problem for deploying Internet-wide security improvements; if you work for a vendor who provides such products, we’d love to establish a regular dialog with your teams to ensure your products do not hold back Internet security even more.
Microsoft Root Program Update.
Note Taker: Gerv Markham

  *   New Program Manager: Mike Reilly
  *   Been at MS 7 years, was in banking and the military
  *   Other team members are:
     *   Keri Street (Communications/Audit and Key Management)
     *   Gordon Bock (Program Dev and Tools)
     *   Nate Santiago (Internal Crypto Management)
     *   Sophia Wong (Crypto Disclosure and SHA-1 Deprecation)
  *   Working on a audit verification capability for the CCADB to remove slow manual processes
  *   Looks for errors and flags them
  *   May 9th 2017: Edge and IE no longer load SHA-1 sites
  *   Working on warning consumers who download software signed with SHA-1, moving towards full distrust in all contexts
  *   August: flight-testing TLS/SSL domain constraints using the Federal PKI
  *   October: rolling them out more broadly to all government CAs (normally to ccTLD)
  *   Still TBD: disable trust for new WoSign and StartCom certs (aimed for April 25th but didn't hit it)
  *   Areas of interest:
     *   DV, OV and EV
     *   Common browser UI
     *   CT
     *   CCADB improvements and partnerships
  *   Developing a CT support plan right now both for server and client
  *   Expect more at the next meeting
Mozilla Root Program Update.
1. Policy 2.5 Nearly Shipped
Mozilla Root Store Policy 2.5 is close to being shipped. At the moment, we are seeking feedback on whether any of the changes requires a phase-in period. Once we have determined that, we will be publishing the policy, and any changes without a phase-in period will be immediately applicable. So it would be wise for everybody to read the new policy and if there's anything you think might take a few months, do let Mozilla know. Details of the changes in the policy are documented in the mozilla.dev.security.policy newsgroup. Here are some highlights:

  *   Certificates with anyEKU have been added to the scope. Firefox doesn't recognise these certs but they are by other users of NSS (1.1)
  *   Accounts which perform "Registration Authority or Delegated Third Party functions" are now also required to have multi-factor auth. (2.1)
  *   CAs are required to use only the 10 Blessed Methods for domain validation. (2.2) This requirement has already had a deadline set for it in the most recent CA Communication; that deadline is 21st July 2017.
     *   Q: If we get ballot 190 passed by that date, will it be updated to align with ballot 190?
     *   A: Yes
  *   There are further requirements on the information that needs to be contained in publicly-available audit information. E.g. laying out what was covered and what wasn't etc (3.1.3)
  *   When CAs do their BR-required yearly update of their CPs and CPSes, they MUST indicate this by incrementing the version number and adding a dated changelog entry. (3.3)
  *   The requirements for what constitutes a TCSC for email have been reformed to actually make some sense - the cert now has to have meaningful technical constraints on rfc822Name. Currently in discussions about if there will be a phase in period for this. (5.3.1)
  *   New intermediates must be disclosed in the CCADB within a week. (5.3.2)
  *   Section 7.4 ("Transfers") has been replaced by a new section 8 which requires CAs to notify of various operational changes. This is a merge-in of text equivalent to the existing Root Transfer Policy which was documented on our wiki. (8)
2. Wiki Cleanup
The Mozilla Root Program wiki content has been simplified and cleaned up, so it should now be much easier to find what you want. The starting page is now https://wiki.mozilla.org/CA .
3. Security UI
We have released new security UI which flags pages with password forms over HTTP as insecure. We’re working on a similar feature to detect and flag credit card forms submitted over HTTP.
4: Queue for Public Discussion
Things have hopefully improved in terms of moving the queue for public discussion along.
Firstly, we have added a "BR Self Assessment" step. This is a system where the CA prepares a document to explain how all the BR requirements are fulfilled by their CP and CPS, thereby lightening the load on our reviewers. All CAs in the inclusion process need to perform the BR Self Assessment before their request may proceed further.
Q: What tools are provided for that?
A: There's a template on the Mozilla Wiki.
There will be a discussion about if self assessments are generally a good thing and could be done at other times than just the during the application process.
Aaron Wu (under Kathleen’s guidance) has taken over responsibility for working with CAs on their Information Verification and on verifying the BR Self Assessments. Aaron is working on these as fast as he can, and will be starting discussions for the CAs for which he has completed verification of their information and BR Self Assessments as soon as he can, but no more than one per week (and only after Kathleen has approved his write-up).
5. Revoked Intermediate Certs
We've been making steady progress to streamline the process of transferring revocations disclosed to the CCADB into OneCRL, Firefox's revocation list. There are now only a handful of certs which are listed in crt.sh as disclosed as revoked but not in OneCRL. The process still contains a human-in-the-loop check before certifying the resulting list, so there will be a 2 day lag in normal circumstances. We can still take emergency action in 0-2 hours if necessary.
6. CA Communication
We sent a major CA Communication in April and a small one in May notifying CAs of CCADB changes in May. From the April communication we learned:

  *   It seems like all CAs are on track to implement domain validation via one of the Ten Blessed Methods by July 21st 2017.
  *   There is a surprising level of support for reducing certificate lifetimes to 13 months, albeit weighted towards smaller CAs. By CA count, it’s about 50:50. This issue continues to be on our radar, and no CA should be surprised if further proposals on this topic emerge.
As a follow-up to the CA Communication we’ve added fields to the CCADB to track a CA’s CAA identifiers and problem reporting mechanisms, and we’ve published a new report which provides this data. We realise that the canonical source for this will, for the moment, continue to be a CA’s CPS but we hope it’s useful to the community to have this gathered in one place.
7. SHA-1
Following on from the question relating to this in the last CA Communication, we are consulting with Microsoft about the possibility of setting a deprecation timeline for SHA-1 in email.
8. Root Store Community
The “Mozilla CA Community” is now the “Common CA Database”, and has its own website at ccadb.org. That should now be where you find both the CCADB Policy, which has moved from Github, and also instructions for how to use it, which have moved from the Mozilla wiki. Microsoft continues to use the CCADB and we continue to hope that other root store operators will be able to come on board soon. The contact email address for CCADB-related matters is support at ccadb.org<mailto:support at ccadb.org> , which reaches all the participating root stores.
All CAs need to keep their CP/CPS and Audit information for their intermediate certs current. CAs must directly update their CCADB records for their intermediate certs. We will be adding automation to send email to CAs when their audit statements for their intermediate certs are due.
9. Annual Updates
In addition to any updates as CPs and CPSes change, all CAs in Mozilla's program need to submit an annual update via the CCADB, as documented on ccadb.org. Those updates need to contain 3 things:

  1.  URLs to updated audit statements;
  2.  URLs to updated CP/CPS docs;
  3.  3 Test websites (valid, expired, revoked) for each root certificate that has the TLS/SSL usage (trust bit) enabled.
Common problems with the test sites that we have seen:

  *   sites not accessible outside of the CA’s internal network
  *   test site not serving correct intermediate cert chain
  *   revoked cert is also expired
Please visit the test websites using a copy of Firefox on a home computer or similar, and make sure the appropriate error appears, before providing the URLs to the CCADB.
10. Adding Disclosure-Failed Intermediates to OneCRL
As you will all know, since mid-2016 CAs have been required to disclose all their non-constrained SSL intermediates in the CCADB. Compliance with this requirement has been… variable. Policy 2.5 requires that disclosure occur within one week of certificate creation. We are considering moving to a policy of adding undisclosed certificates we discover which are more than a week past their notBefore dates directly to OneCRL, permanently. In other words, Firefox would treat them as revoked. We hope this will provide sufficient incentive for disclosure, and for CAs to implement proper tracking of their intermediates (and perhaps even cross-referencing with CCADB data) such that “oversights” no longer happen. Comments on this proposal are welcomed.
Q: Would the listing be permanent?