[cabfpub] Ballot 190 - Recording BR Version Number

Wayne Thayer wthayer at godaddy.com
Wed Jul 19 01:32:01 UTC 2017

Ballot 190 Includes the following statement in 3.2.2.4:

The CA SHALL maintain a record of which domain validation method, including relevant BR version number, they used to validate every domain.

While I understand the logic behind this, I’m concerned about the “relevant BR version number”. This could be interpreted in a number of imprecise ways. For instance, does ballot 202 require CAs to update their system to record compliance with changes to the definitions in some of the methods?

I suggest that we add version numbers to each of the 10 validation methods listed in the BRs and require CAs to record compliance with a specific version of the validation method for each domain they validate. This allows ballot authors to explicitly increment the version number of a given method when a material change is made, and provides clear guidance to CAs on what version number to record.

Thanks,

Wayne