[cabfpub] Revocation ballot

Ryan Sleevi sleevi at google.com
Thu Jul 13 12:18:51 MST 2017

Hi Jeremy,

This seems rather problematic. I greatly appreciated DigiCert's past
consideration of this, which was to set the absolute upper bound at no
greater than two weeks.

As proposed, this would effectively make 4.9.1.1 and 4.9.1.2
pointless, as it leaves it fully up to CA discretion. As we've seen
with the validation methods' "any other method", CA discretion creates
significant challenges for relying parties and auditors to be assured
of the integrity of the Web PKI and of the technical and material
factors weighing in.

That is, I'm totally supportive of an approach that tries to balance
24 hours, but I think anything that allows for arbitrarily-determined
revocation, as proposed, would be a big step backwards for the
security and confidence in the PKI.