[cabfpub] Profiling OCSP & CRLs

Ryan Sleevi sleevi at google.com
Mon Jul 10 14:17:47 MST 2017

I suppose one challenge I have with "infrequently used" is that it
effectively states that CAs do not believe that OCSP Stapling
should/can be used for all certificates. That is, I think one vision
of the future would be to say all sites support OCSP stapling, and all
(Web PKI) clients request OCSP stapling, because that gets us to a
world where we have security by default (stapling as the default, not
the exception, with hard fail on its absence or revocation).

So I think it may be necessary to start thinking about designs that
move away from 'infrequently used' certs, and look to providing OCSP
just pre-generate. I think you're right in that it most likely
involves a move to FIPS 140-2 Level 2 hardware (at least, under
today's available systems), so that we can get the necessary volume of
signatures, but I think pre-generation may be something that CAs
really need to start thinking about and planning for now, so we can
figure out how to make this real in five years and finally have the
revocation system everyone says they want.

Anyways, agreed, "future wish list" - and I think that's one of the
things that may require folks to think more about and figure out what
that vision looks like.