[cabfpub] Updated Ballot 190 v5 dated July 6, 2017

Kirk Hall Kirk.Hall at entrustdatacard.com
Thu Jul 6 18:39:41 UTC 2017

Based on the CABF teleconference discussion today, it's clear there is still a difference of opinion on the best way to express the ability of a CA to re-use the validation of an FQDN and issue certs for other FQDNs that include additional nodes to the left (except for validation Method 8).  Jeremy and Ben are collecting all the suggestions for how to express this, and once Ballot 190 is adopted will immediately consider appropriate edits.  But we need to get Ballot 190 done in order to end the "any other method" authorization and meet Mozilla deadlines as well.

For now, we have this formulation of the rule posted by Gerv last Friday, which looks good to me:

"Note: Once the FQDN has been validated using this method, the CA MAY also issue Certificates for other FQDNs that end with all the labels of the validated FQDN and have more labels than it."

I have dropped in that language in the attached Version 5 of Ballot 190 (and specified this is not true for Method 8).  Otherwise, the ballot is the same as v4 which was previously circulated.

Ballot 190 v5 (6-30-2017) is now the official Ballot 190 under consideration by the Forum.  The discussion period ends on July 8 at 18:00 UTC, after which voting will start.