[cabfpub] Fwd: Fwd: Draft CAA motion (3)

Gervase Markham gerv at mozilla.org
Wed Jan 25 17:34:37 UTC 2017

Forwarding with permission.

Gerv

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: 	Fwd: [cabfpub] Draft CAA motion (3)
Date: 	Thu, 19 Jan 2017 11:44:55 -0800
From: 	Simone Carletti <simone at carletti.name>
To: 	Gervase Markham <gerv at mozilla.org>, Ryan Sleevi <sleevi at google.com>

Gerv, Ryan,

As I'm not a member, hence I'm forwarding this note to you for
consideration.
Caching a negative response may lead to several cache invalidation
problems. It's common to cache a negative response (e.g. NXDOMAIN), but
the length of the case should be *reasonably* limited.

The typical scenario to avoid is the case when the user (or resolver)
queries the record (e.g. for debugging or testing), then adds it (as it
was not present). In that case, if the negative cache is too long, that
would cause caching invalidation issues.

I can see a similar scenario for certs, especially during testing phases
(e.g. security testings, setups, etc).

I suggest to take a look at https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2308
and specifically section 3 that provides some instructions for determining
a possible appropriate TTL for negative caching based on SOA and TTL.

> Like normal answers negative answers have a time to live (TTL).  As
> there is no record in the answer section to which this TTL can be
> applied, the TTL must be carried by another method.  This is done by
> including the SOA record from the zone in the authority section of
> the reply.  When the authoritative server creates this record its TTL
> is taken from the minimum of the SOA.MINIMUM field and SOA's TTL.
> This TTL decrements in a similar manner to a normal cached answer and
> upon reaching zero (0) indicates the cached negative answer MUST NOT
> be used again.

Long story short, negative caching TTL is generally determined by the
last value of the SOA record. That would also allow the domain owner to
be in control of the cache.

Example (emphasis is mine):

➜  ~ dig missing.simonecarletti.com <http://missing.simonecarletti.com> SOA

; <<>> DiG 9.11.0-P1 <<>> missing.simonecarletti.com
<http://missing.simonecarletti.com> SOA
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: *NXDOMAIN*, id: 19517
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 1, ADDITIONAL: 1

;; OPT PSEUDOSECTION:
; EDNS: version: 0, flags:; udp: 512
;; QUESTION SECTION:
;missing.simonecarletti.com <http://missing.simonecarletti.com>.INSOA

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
simonecarletti.com
<http://simonecarletti.com>.*299*INSOAns1.dnsimple.com
<http://ns1.dnsimple.com>. admin.dnsimple.com
<http://admin.dnsimple.com>. 2013062714 86400 7200 604800 *300*

;; Query time: 120 msec
;; SERVER: 8.8.8.8#53(8.8.8.8)
;; WHEN: Thu Jan 19 11:43:14 PST 2017
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 110

The SOA negative TTL is 300. Therefore the negative lookup is cached for
up to 300 seconds.

-- Simone