[cabfpub] Draft Ballot 185 - Limiting the Lifetime of Certificates: User input

Scott Rea scott at scottrea.com
Fri Feb 10 18:14:00 UTC 2017

I think that is a good summary Ryan.

We are essentially weighing up the difference of adding 2 days to the
minimal possible time for a potential screw up vs a potential
significant reduction in effort for some CAs who accommodate multiple
trust communities.

I think the latter outweighs the former, and actually reduces the risk
of a correct implementation of the former by those who fall into the
category of multi-trust community support. Lower risk because their
renewal algorithms only need to accommodate the one value rather than
having to check which trust community it is, decide which one takes
precedence if its both, and implement a different value depending on the
outcome. Simpler algorithm, should be lower risk, faster implementation.

400 is a win-win, whereas 398 is a win-we-don't-give-a-crap...

Regards,
-Scott

--
Scott Rea, MSc, CISSP