[cabfpub] Seeking comments on Governance Change outline

Dean Coclin Dean_Coclin at symantec.com
Thu Feb 9 21:49:51 UTC 2017

Hi Gerv,

Thank you for your comments. Let me try to respond to each one and perhaps other members of the working group will chime in if I'm not exact in my answers. I've repeated them below for ease of review:

-- Do you mean, each WG should have at least the concept of a non-CA member, and some examples of companies or people who might be in that class, even if none join?
>>Yes, what we are saying is that there will likely be CAs as one group, and there should be another constituency, be it browsers or ASVs. If none join, there's not much point of having a "working" group.

* What will be the status of WGs like the Governance Reform Working Group in the new system? Will they be parallel to and at the same level as e.g. the Code Signing Working Group?
>>Yes, parallel.

-- Are they permitted to change their minds after joining? If so, what's the point of making them state it up front? Or do you just mean that "Like other members, Interested Parties are only part of the Working Groups they explicitly sign up to"?
>>Yes, they can change their minds. As you state, the purpose is that they are only part of the groups they explicitly sign up for.

-- Would it not make more sense to have a "Common" policy or charter which applied to all WGs, which contained these terms? Having to copy them about everywhere leads to lots of potential for errors, version skew etc. If requirements are to be common, they should be voted on at Forum level and included in this document, and the charter of each WG can incorporate "the latest version" by reference. Thus all WGs would be bound by them.

>>Good idea, we will discuss that at our next meeting

* "The Forum will have the power to create Subcommittees to study issues that come up from time to time."

-- Can you give an example of the sort of thing this might cover?

>> For example, we recently had a "task force" which was a subset of members to help get some things clarified for the greater membership.

Will make the other cleanups.

Thanks!