[cabfpub] Draft Ballot 185 - Limiting the Lifetime of Certificates

Bruce Morton Bruce.Morton at entrustdatacard.com
Tue Feb 7 14:56:24 UTC 2017

Ryan,

I support your concrete action items. It would be great if they were on the agenda for the next F2F.

Bruce.

From: Ryan Sleevi via Public <public at cabforum.org<mailto:public at cabforum.org>>
Date: February 6, 2017 at 5:55:06 PM EST
To: Doug Beattie <doug.beattie at globalsign.com<mailto:doug.beattie at globalsign.com>>
Cc: Ryan Sleevi <sleevi at google.com<mailto:sleevi at google.com>>, CA/Browser Forum Public Discussion List <public at cabforum.org<mailto:public at cabforum.org>>
Subject: Re: [cabfpub] Draft Ballot 185 - Limiting the Lifetime of Certificates

As I want to suggest concrete action items:
- Perhaps it would be useful in the Forum to explain why the SHA-1 deprecation was a bad deprecation, as far as deprecations go, and why it's bad for the Internet and for users to approach it the way CAs did.
- Perhaps it would be useful to hold an educational section on CAA, similar to our last F2F, as it appears there's some critical misunderstanding here.

How does that sound? If others don't feel it's useful, I'd be happy to set some time aside to work through separately with you to explain the misunderstandings and hopefully work through your confusion.